Monday, February 4, 2008

You don't know me

I haven’t posted in a while because there’s been nothing to post. It was kind of wonderful.
Then, this weekend happened, and I paid for my months of freedom with a night from hell.
I went to a party Saturday night. I was bending down at one point to put my coat away behind a table, when there was a burst of pain and I felt myself sprawled out on the floor. Some guy at the party kicked me in the back so hard that I’d launched forward and landed on my chest.
At first, I thought I was being attacked. I got up, shocked and frightened, looking for the person who’d kicked me over. I think I knew who it was, but mostly I just saw a crowd of faces swirling around me asking ‘Are you OK? Are you OK?’
I was not OK. I was hurt and scared. I went into a bedroom to calm down for a minute.
Once I’d stopped crying, I went back to the party. I guess I’d missed a LOT of drinking, because suddenly everyone was either throwing up or laughing at the people throwing up. I tried to help, putting clothes on the friend passed out naked on tile, wrapping my hair tie around the friend puking into her bangs.
At this point, I had a brilliant idea. I went into the kitchen to find a chip-clip to hold my friend’s hair back so she could puke in peace.
This is the part of the night I can’t believe I escaped.
I was scrambling through the kitchen drawers without finding anything I could improvise as a hair accessory when two guys walked up. They blocked the entrance and started to talk.
“Hey, I know you,” says the first. “I was your Summer Welcome leader!”
He introduces himself as John Anderson and says he remembers me from when he helped me “get acquainted” to college.
Two things:
A) My summer welcome leader was a girl. I think her name was Kristi. Her name was not John.
B) I know (of) this guy. He was an MSA president at one point. And he was not my Summer Welcome leader.
I ignore the guy and try to snake my way out of the kitchen.
He grabs my arm and stops me.
“No,” he says. “I remember you. I remember your beautiful hair.”
Reader, let me put this in context for you. He did not say this sweetly with a smile. He said this sternly, blocking my exit from the room. He said this as he kept me trapped in the kitchen. He said this threateningly.
All I could think to do was apologize. That must have been wrong, because he got mad.
“No, I remember you! I remember you’re hair! Aren’t you listening? I remember your beautiful hair! I go though all this work to be a huge part of your first college experience, and you can’t even remember me?” he yells. He looks at his friend, exasperated.
“Nah, dude,” says his friend, knowingly. “I know her. She’s a Chi O.”
Now, I am a Chi Omega. But I still don’t know this guy. And he offers no explanation. So I ask…
“Oh, do I know you?”
“You should,” he says. “I know you. You’re a Chi O. I’m a (fill in some frat here). I know you. I knoooow you.”
He says this like he’s trying to tell me something. He says it while lifting his eyebrows like he’s suggesting something we both know. He says this like he’s seen me naked. He hasn’t.
I am scared out of my mind. I can’t get out. They won’t let me leave. They keep getting mad when I say I don’t know them. But I don’t! I don’t know them! And my friend is sick and she needs help and I need help and no one is looking and I’m trapped in the kitchen with knives and other potential weapons with two strangers who want to “know” me.
So I giggle. I bat my eyelashes. I feel filthy and awful, but I run my hand down John Anderson’s chest and promise to be right back. He lets me out of the kitchen.
These guys expected me to be grateful for the way they treated me. They wanted me to be flattered that they were paying attention to me. They wanted me to thank them for the compliments about my hair.
But I am not stupid. I am a woman, I have a vagina – and I am NOT STUPID. Those were not compliments, boys. Those were strategic attacks. You were getting something out of me, or trying to. You wanted me to be so flattered that I fell to my knees and stayed there. You wanted to put me on a pedestal so I would go down on it. You used force and coercion and anger and unspoken threats to keep me from getting away from you.
You assaulted me. Fuck you.
After I drove home that night, I broke down. I spend my life fighting the social norms and mindsets that let nights like this happen – and they still happen. They happen to me and to other women. And sometimes, violence happens. Rape happens. I don’t know what I escaped that night, but I was one of the lucky ones.
How fucked up is that.

4 comments:

Lovely Lola's State of the Union said...

good lord, that is absolutely ridiculous but i'm not surprised because i've heard stories of how creepy john andersen can be. i have an experience of my own to share...

I was coming from Fieldhouse with girlfriends on homecoming weekend. We walked past Harpos' when this guy yells out "Baby, baby, hey baby where are you going?!" Me being a little tipsy and a lot sassy said "To my boyfriend's house" thinking that the creep would take the hint. He yells out "Fuck your boyfriend!" I replied "I intend to" while I was walking down Cherry to get to my car. He said "No, fuck your boyfriend and fuck ME instead." At this point, I had had enough so I kept walking, thinking he would get the hint. Instead, the loser proceeds to yell out "OH COME ON! I'M WHITE! I HAVE A DICK!" The only reason that creep left us alone was because my friend had a can of mace and threatened him.

I barely go out anymore because comments like these have become par for the course. I usually get guys who talk me up and then say "I've never had a black one before" I'm still trying to figure out where I was when "black woman" became synonymous with "will fuck anyone anytime, anywhere" and when I supposedly lost my identity as a woman and became an object.

your blog is an empowering place...thanks for making a safe space to post these experiences. hopefully there's a guy somewhere reading this and learning how NOT to act.
-Lola

Lindsay Toler said...

"I'm White"? "I have a dick"??? That's, like, the exact opposite of my blog, lol. What kind of world do we live in where threatening to mace someone is the only way to get home safely? I mean, what did he expect??? Do those "pickup lines" work????

Unknown said...

I'm a father of two little girls and three little boys, and I just discovered your blog. It made me reach two decisions immediately. 1) My daughters must take self-defense classes before they are teens.
2) My boys need to know I will beat them senseless if I ever hear of them being disrespectful to girls and women or doing nothing if they see other boys behaving badly.

Lindsay Toler said...

Mike-
I'm so glad you found me! I teared up at you're reaction. You're right, a huge part of the solution is educating our men, especially our young men.
I'll tell you this about self-defense classes though: Beware a class that teaches that self-defense will automatically keep you from being attacked, ever. Self-defense is about empowerment and prevention, but there's no fool-proof way to keep from being attacked. Telling a woman she'll never be raped if she takes self-defense can sometimes cause her to blame herself if she ever is attacked.
Just FYI.
Lindsay