Saturday, December 22, 2007

Truckers

It took me 12 hours to get from St. Louis to Dallas on Thursday, but I made it. It was a nerve-racking drive. After all, it was raining, my tires are old and ready to pop, and I'm technically on some kind of probation from all the speeding tickets I've gotten on this drive.
I'm heading down I-44, and a trucker honks at me as I pass him. He starts flashing his brights over and over in my rear-view mirror. I get nervous. I'd just stopped for gas. Was my gas tank open? Were my tires in trouble? Was something wrong with my car?? What?!
He passes me and honks again. Scared, I look over at him to figure out what was up. But instead, he passes me, turns his blinker on, and tries to lead me off the highway. That's when I realized...nothing was wrong with my car. This was a pick up attempt. This trucker found me attractive and decided to get me off the road and into his...cab.
Is it safe to flirt at 75 mph on a highway? In motor vehicles? In the rain? What about that situation was supposed to turn me on?

3 comments:

Keri said...

Just wanted to let you know I stopped by and read your blog! I can't believe how many negative experiences you've had! I'm sure it's because I'm not as social or physically attractive, but that's no reason for you to get treated so disrespectfully. Awesome blog, see you next Sunday!

Katharine said...

Hey, Lindsay. Thanks again for the safe space (reiterating what Lola said). I also agree that some of your experiences are unbelievable — not that I don't believe that they happened, but because I wish they wouldn't.

I've had my share of trucker problems, too. None of them have tried to get me off the highway, but I get a lot of horns, a lot of flashing lights, and a lot of disgusting groping motions and licked lips. Don't truckers have anything else to think about (like driving, for example) other than their "big rigs"?

Lindsay Toler said...

You know, I don't think my experiences on this blog have anything to do with being social or attractive. I think it's the patriarchal, men-own-all mindset that causes this shit, not my face, hair, or love of Fat Tire. So I agree, there is NO reason for me to be treated so disrespectfully!